"I know. It looks bad."

When you hear about the death of your favorite characters, your stomach sinks a little bit, it's like hearing about the loss of a loved one, but much, much worse.

This series continues, the first issue was less than stellar, but I did say there was room for improvement... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That's all I've got, this is Gwenpool '25 #2 by Cavan Scott and Stefano Nesi.

BUT LET'S ESTABLISH A NEW RULE:

- I have to be brutally honest, the covers for this series all suck, so we're reviewing variants.

This is the infinitely better variant cover. This one was drawn by Lesley Li, and it looks great, actually. It depicts Gwen (Stacy) in a cool pose about to murder you. Main cover shows a spoiler, so...

"Rated T+", I don't see anyone over the age of 23 picking this up. 

I just felt a sharp pain in my chest from picking this up, looks like this post is about to turn out to become the tragic death of the original Spider-Plush... Wait, I scrapped that name.

Well, what a way to spoil everything, Cavan, just include the big event right in the cover for everyone to see.

LAST ISSUE: Peter Parker, Kate Bishop and Gwen Poole are friends now for some unknown reason, I have no idea as to how Peter and Gwen even met, but sure. Oh, and Gwen Stacy is back from the dead because this is supposedly a commentary on how you should not mix up Gwen Stacy and Gwen Poole... Well, Y'know what? I'm gonna mix them up on purpose now! No, just kidding, I'm not always a contrarian!

The story begins where we left off, angry Gwen Stacy wanting to kill Spider-Man, but for different reasons than the ones seen in early but not that early ASM. Gwen Stacy apparently now knows Peter's identity... Odd, because the original never found out Peter's secret, continuity issue? No, because in issue 10 of ASM vol. 6, Gwen Stacy is brought back to life for a little bit and she watches Spidey to make sure he doesn't fuck up... Though, I'm not sure if this is even the same Gwen Stacy because there's way too fucking many. 

So, Spider-Man tries to stop Psycho Gwen and fails.

Kate "Hawkeye" Bishop also tries to stop Psycho Gwen and fails.

Gwenpool also tries to stop Gwen, which leads to a fight scene but then a building blows up and while Spider-Man tries to save a bunch of people, he collapses... What a fucking wuss, Spidey has lifted a heavy piece of machinery, held the Daily Bugle on his shoulders, lifted an entire tank, but somehow fighting his crazy fucking girlfriend and saving a bunch of people is too much? I mean, all the damage he took while fighting Psycho Gwen is getting stabbed with an electric arrow, he's gotten more damage in the past and he didn't collapse from any of it, C'mon, Spidey, it is just a lousy flesh wound... This comic blows.

So, the scene that you've all been waiting for... Gwenpool rushes in to see what's happening, but Psycho Gwen stabs her to death, and even in her last breaths, she is still making references and 4th wall breaks.

So, Gwen is fucking dead, Spider-Man is collapsed on the floor like a fucking coward... Gwen narrates about how this death will last forever but I know it won't because [OVERDONE JOKE ABOUT COMIC BOOK DEATHS]

This comic is really bad. The art is the same as last time, but the story tries too hard to be dark and they really really really nerfed Spider-Man, C'mon, it's just a lousy woman with knives in her hand. Everyone SUCKED in this book, 2/10. 1.5 points for the art, 0.5 points for trying. I swear to god, you have 3 more issues, if those aren't good, I'll flip my fucking shit.

Footnote: The villain won, the 2 main characters are dead. This should be the end of the series, right?

Comments

  1. I am so glad I've had zero interest in this miniseries or even the concept. The change in rating from the last issue to this one is so concerning. Isn't this basically retreading the X-Men Origins: Wolverine Deadpool treatment? Dark and edgy for the sake of being dark and edgy, as well as the knife hands. Yikes. Once again, Gwen Stacy just needs to stay dead, untouched, unflashbacked, uncloned. Yikes part two.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular!!!!

Reviewing things I haven't seen!

What If: Intro to MC2 and RLD

The Lowest Point In Modern Spider-Man Comics.