This game is... (Part 4)

No time for recaps. DDLC. Game. SCARY. CONTENT WARNING: Discussion of gore.

We get a choice of... Well, nothing, but we have to say either yes or no... I'm a yes man, which might end up biting me in the ass later.

That letter was not on screen for long enough for me to read. Why is the mood so weird? Good question, Natsuki. Stagnating air is commonly foreshadowing- whatever. We organize ourselves for the festival. Normal. Well, Yuri and I are tasked with... I don't know.

Yuri tells Natsuki to shut her fucking mouth... Literally, that's what she says, look.

Well, glad to see there's no hostility in this game.

Monika tells me to make the damn choice, and she HACKS MY CURSOR TO PICK HER,what a spoiled bitch. WHY IS THERE SWEARING IN THIS GAME JUST NOW? Well, at least I finally get to hit on Monika. 

Some shit just got real. With more crazy talk from Yuri. SHE TELLS NATSUKI TO KILL HERSELF, these characters are terrible people. But it's apparently okay because Yuri wants to spend time with me. 

Yuri finally has me all to herself, this is everything she's always wanted. She is finally going to confess her love for me, how she gets butterflies in her stomach and how she touches herself with the pen she stole from my backpack, but she doesn't care anymore, being with me is such a pleasure for her, it feels like she's gonna die if she's not with me. Isn't it nice to have someone be OBSESSED with you? Seriously, get a fucking therapist you crazy bitch. SHE IS MADLY IN LOVE WITH ME, I could tell, Yuri, this started off as a cute crush and ended up as an unhealthy obsession, if you really love someone, you would not be creepy to them. 

Do I accept her confession? No. 

Well, I click "No", which makes the piano music appear and it makes Yuri pick up a knife and stab herself 3 times. THIS IS HORRIBLE, THIS IS GRUESOME, THIS IS GROSS. It doesn't matter what choice you make, she ends up dying either way. Isn't it nice to have the illusion of free choice? This also happens with Sayori. Your choices don't always matter in this game.

Her dead body starts using random characters in a cutscene where you can clearly see her slowly die and her body decay through the span of an entire weekend, you can even see her pupils slowly dilating.

Natsuki shows up and vomits after seeing Yuri's corpse. Monika shows up, she asks if something happened. She didn't realize the script was broken badly... She resets the game and... Where am I? Well, I'm with Monika, she's now the only one talking to me, she has deleted the other characters from existence.

This is the moment where everything is revealed, there is nothing more to hide. She's not even talking to Barry anymore, she's talking to ME, Eddie. aka Calvino. She doesn't even know my gender? 

Well, hi Monika, my name is Edward, I'm a fat mexican kid that stumbled upon this game after watching a Scott The Woz video. Nice to meet you. 

Wow, she's aware this is a fictional product? SHE IS JUST LIKE GWENPOOL! Wow, if I had only paid attention to the steam page or game website, I would've known this was just a lame ARG all along! About that whole thing with Yuri... Oh, she's sorry I had to see that? That automatically makes it fine! It was her all along, she made everyone unlikable on purpose... SHE drove Sayori to suicide. What kind of cruel game is this? Letting me pick everyone except Monika? 

Wow, it's like she's trying to make me feel bad while also trying to make me dislike her. At least SOMEONE is in love with me. I probably saved her life? Well, that's what heroes do, right? Can I go home now? This game is really making me question escapism and why I love fictional stories and dating games... 

That being said, she has to confess that she's in love with me... I could tell. YOU SUCK AT HIDING IT. Will I go out with her? My only choice is yes, so that's what I chose. I think I should save my game... Oh, I can't? Okay. We can be together forever... I know, you just said that. Well, I guess this is the end of the game... Is it? 

She tells me that I can delete the file "monika.chr" from the game... Later. Can I go home? Please, DON'T WRITE A POEM... So, I wrote a poem for her with the words "Monika", "Mo ika", and others. Wow, there's no end to my thoughtfulness, yesterday, I built a real Monika.

Oh, she wrote a GOOD poem for me? NEAT! Coolio, you DIDN'T want to break the fourth wall, MOVE ON. I'm debating whether I should delete her character file... In the meantime, let's have a staring contest.

STOP. TALKING. MONIKA. 

I tried to skip forward but there is NOTHING to fast forward to. 

I closed the game, but when I opened it back, she said she had an awful dream where I closed the game. Sure.

Y'know what? I'll just read a book while she talks. 

I got tired and deleted her file. Now there's NO characters. Oh, and she's mad at me now. Can't please anybody in this game. Well, she dies, not before telling me that she loves me like 30 times.

Look at what I just discovered... A NEW CHAPTER!

Monika starts to finally regret her wrongdoings. And finally apologizing. Oh, she didn't actually delete everyone, she can bring them back at any time. Just because she loved them all and loved the literature club, she will bring back everyone, and make the game playable.

Well, we will be looking at that new chapter at a later date. right now, it is finally time for the review. 

The graphics... They're pretty good for a visual novel, they're outstanding.

The character design... They're all cute, I guess.

The music... It's good and I'm buying it on vinyl, but it does get annoying after hearing the same shit for over 10 minutes.

The gameplay... It's alright for a visual novel, though you don't get to make decisions often. 

The story... It is damn near perfect, in fact, this entire concept and game are brilliant, this isn't JUST a visual novel or dating simulator where you have to make these characters love you, but secretly, this is a game... ABOUT a game, and it will scare the shit out of you and shock you. It really does trick you into a false sense of security.  It is just brilliant, I imagine how surprised the first person to play this game after release felt about finding out the secrets of this game. I could make a comment about how this game deals with issues like depression or suicidal thoughts, but I am not the right person to comment on that since I have never really dealt with those issues, but my heart goes out to anyone who has dealt with those problems, hope you can feel better soon. I could say the pacing is slow, but I guess it's alright.

The replay value... This game has a lot of different routes you can take, they lead into pretty much the same shit, but you do get to see different things. 

Overall, this game gets a big fat 9/10 from me. 

Well, this is the end, for now. Maybe I'll come back to this game soon and maybe I'll even try out mods and purchase that "Doki Doki Literature Club Plus" game.

Next time... Not sure.

Comments

Popular!!!!

Reviewing things I haven't seen!

What If: Intro to MC2 and RLD

The Lowest Point In Modern Spider-Man Comics.