A Childhood Classic.
I fell out of love with comics for a bit, until I read that issue of Gwenpool when I was 12, I HAD to read more shit! Which is why I dug up my old copy of the Mexican Exclusive Spider-Man Omnibus released to celebrate Marvel's 70th anniversary, all the way back in 2009. It compiles issues 568 to 583.
Let me tell you, that thing was HEAVY AS SHIT. Oh, and I guess I enjoyed the stories, though 2 comics that stuck out to me were issues 578 and 579. Why, you may ask? We're about to find out when we look at The Amazing Spider-Man (vol. 1) #578 and 579 by Mark Waid and Marcos Martin, right now.
This cover shows Spidey rising from the ashes. I really like what they did with the logos and titles here.PREVIOUSLY: I didn't review the last issue. Not like it's relevant, anyway.
The book begins with Peter Parker eating Chinese food and reading his fortune on his Spider-Man pajamas in the rain, which is something that I do on the regular. The fortune cookie he was eating said "Today is your lucky day" or something like that, Spidey laughs it off, thinking it's just some lame phrase written on a little piece of paper, but then a metro card with 2 dollars remaining suddenly falls from the sky, meaning that he doesn't have to get all wet while web-swinging back home.
The train is about to leave, but then a really sexy lady lets him enter, how nice... No time to talk with the pretty lady, you see, Spidey somehow knows something is gonna happen with his trusty ol' Spider-Sense, but it's too late for him to stop it. The train exploded in a giant fireball and everybody died... (Not really). Luckily, at least 1 person had a flashlight. Oh, and Peter had time to suit up and try to salvage the situation. Everyone is asking questions about what the hell just happened, but then some guy that won't be important later says that this specific subway car may have been targeted.
Well, why would they be targeted? Because Giacomo's legal team is here! Who the fuck is Giacomo? Ask SpiderFan because I don't know. Oh, and the ceiling is about to collapse because they are under the river. They supposedly find an exit, but Spidey thinks it's kind of suspicious, and his suspicions were right because the Shocker just grabs Spidey by the arm. Spidey and Shocker fight for a little bit before Shocker's gauntlets go off and make even more destruction.
Well, it looks like everyone's doomed, but then the guy I said wouldn't be important later was actually important. Meet J. Jonah Jameson Senior. Do you think shit gets confusing with this family? First we have JJJ Sr, then JJJ Jr, and John Jameson.
This issue was nothing short of fantastic. I think we're off to a great start for this 2-issue storyline. 9/10.
One more.
The cover of this one has Spider-Man fighting against Shocker. Not much to say... I guess what they did with the logos was cool. The issue begins with Aunt May beginning to worry about Peter's whereabouts since he was supposed to be at the F.E.A.S.T. center to help her out.
Cut to Spider-Man webbing up the ceiling so that it doesn't fall apart, but he does warn the citizens about the webbing only lasting an hour, which is something that I had only learned like 8 years after becoming a fan of these 4-color epics. Spider-Man kindly asks Shocker if he could tell him a way to leave this dilapidated place (by slamming him into a wall) and luckily, there is an old tunnel that leads to an exit. Spidey takes one of Shocker's gauntlets and breaks one of the walls... Before getting buried in a lot of rubble.
Meanwhile, J. Jonah Jameson Jr. is rushing out of the DB (or Front Line or Daily Bugle or whatever) after hearing the news.
Cut back to Spider-Man, he's now getting rescued by some of the citizens, oh, and his costume is now badly damaged. Spidey goes up the tunnel with JJJ Sr. so he can make an elevator with his webbing. They all start walking towards the exit as the water starts to rise... But then Shocker uses his fucking blast again and escapes. It's okay because they still found the exit.
Jameson almost stays to drown but Spider-Man saves him. Well, everyone's saved... Except for the cop that died in the last issue, and JJJ Sr. mysteriously leaves.
Spidey ponders if maybe this was his lucky day and the issue ends.
Well, this is certainly another great story by Mark Waid, and the artwork was just beautiful. I dig. 10/10... How is Spidey's suit gonna recover from this?
Next time, I look at the JMS run AGAIN.
.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment